Data science professionals are struggling to translate immense amounts of raw data into actionable insights. The challenge stems from data sets growing at an exponential rate due to new tracking mechanisms and sensors applied to everything from smartphones and televisions to online shopping and social media.
“Data Science: Data to Insights” is a new six-week, self-paced online course offered by MIT Professional Education in partnership with the MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society (IDSS) designed to provide data science professionals with the ability to understand and analyze large data sets.
The course, which begins October 4, 2016, is open to any data science professional with a desire to learn how to apply data science techniques to more effectively address an organization’s needs. By covering a broad spectrum of topics relevant and vital to success, the course is geared to everyone from early career professionals to senior managers, and from start-ups to large corporations.
Topics include recommendation engines, regressions, network and graphical modeling, anomaly detection, hypothesis testing, machine learning, and big data analytics. Participants who complete the coursework will have a firm grasp for how to extract meaningful insights and preferences from customer data, and how to ask the right questions to make better business decisions.
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the self-paced course consists of pre-taped videos, multiple choice assessments, readings, and discussion forums. Participants who successfully complete the course requirements are eligible to receive 1.3 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from MIT Professional Education.
- Cost: $575
- Online program available at 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Participants complete coursework on their own timeline (average time commitment 3-4 hours a week)
- Majority of participants spend 3-4 hours a week on course-related activities.
- Enrollment open to Data Science professionals around the world; no advance readings, programming experience, or degrees are required
- Course offerings developed and taught by leading MIT Faculty Features include real-world case studies from top companies such as Amazon, Spotify and MovieLens.
Certificate Program Details
- Course participants eligible for 1.3 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from MIT Professional Education
- Program is on edX platform at mitproessionalx.mit.edu and offered by MIT Professional Education in partnership with MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society (IDSS).
Subscribe to Data Informed for the latest information and news on big data and analytics for the enterprise.